How did I do this?

 

Last week there was a comment on a prior post about how I made the card's background.

I have detailed the process below and included photos - I'm not up to videos yet 😁

I took a piece of Whisper White cardstock and cut it 13.8cms x 9.5cms. I also cut a piece of copy paper the same size (in hindsight, I would cut the copy paper at say 14cms x 9.7cms so it is just slightly bigger than the cardstock.)


I then grabbed the Stitched Rectangles Dies and the piece of copy paper.


I positioned the die where I wanted the coloured panel to be. Now the problem was that the rectangle die was not as long as I wanted, so I did 'a little thing' to make it longer. 

I only put the top clear plate for the Big Shot over some of the die as I did not want to cut out the entire rectangle at this stage - in other words I only partially cut the rectangle die.


I ran this through the Big Shot, and you can see  from the photo below that not all of the rectangle has been cut.


I then took the die and fit it into the 'open' end of the cut that was made. You can sort of feel it 'lock in' to the cut/stitching. 

Once again I only covered part of the die with the plate, and then ran that through the Big Shot.


This is the end result after the two passes through the Big Shot. See how I have extended the length of the rectangle. You can use this technique with heaps of dies to make them wider/longer.


I then took the die cut copy paper and placed it on top of the Whisper White cardstock. Ignore the images you can see on the reverse side of the copy paper - I'm using scrap paper from my printer 😂 

You should be able to see where the rectangle has been cut from the copy paper and the Whisper White cardstock is peeping through.


I then took the Subtle 3D Embossing Folder and inked the top flap using a Calypso Coral Stamp Pad.


I took the Whisper White cardstock (with copy paper on top) and placed it on the bottom flap of the embossing folder.


I closed the embossing folder very carefully (but not carefully enough as you will soon find out), and ran it through the Big Shot.


And this was the result!


I removed the inked copy paper to reveal the partially inked yet fully embossed Whisper White cardstock underneath.


Remember how I said at the start of this post to make the copy paper a couple of mm bigger than the cardstock. It is because when the cardstock and copy paper the same size there is no room for error. In this case a slight movement of the copy paper to the right meant that I ended up with a sliver of Calypso Coral ink running down the left hand side of the Whisper White cardstock.


I just trimmed it off in this example, but if you made the copy paper slightly bigger than the cardstock you probably wouldn't encounter this problem. And before you say it - why didn't I just use removeable tape - because it does not come off the embossed Whisper White very well - been there done that with the original card - learn from my mistakes!

And here is the background paper!

 

I hope I have explained this well enough. I know a video would have been better but.... oh well - I am just not there yet 😃

If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to get in contact with me.

Fiona

Comments

  1. You should be charging for this knowledge Fiona!! Never fail to impress :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m more than happy to share what I know Ben. You will have to come to another card making session when Covid restrictions lift. 😃

      Delete
    2. Only if it’s followed by a rom-com!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I understand now. I guess I am slow on the uptake, but I just didn't "get it" when you first posted. I knew I loved the outcome but wasn't really certain how to attain it! I am going to go give this a try now. I really think it is quite brilliant!
    Thanks again!
    tonilea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help Tonilea. Make sure you upload a photo of the card you make. I'd love to see it

      Delete

Post a Comment